Resources for Seniors Moving into Senior Living
Whether you’re just beginning to explore senior living or you’re in the process of honing your community options, these resources can help you make the best decision for you.
Choose the Right Community.
There are a lot of senior living community options — and they are not all alike. Here are some definitions to help you narrow down the type of community that might be best suited to you or a loved one.
Independent living communities typically offer maintenance-free apartments, condos or villas; a calendar of activities; and services such as housekeeping, meals and transportation. Health care services are not part of your contract.
Assisted living communities offer apartments or suites designed for senior safety and services that provide help with activities of daily living needs such as personal care and medication management. Some assisted living communities are licensed to provide memory care as well.
55+ communities typically offer maintenance-free apartments, condos or villas; a calendar of activities; and some services such as housekeeping, meals and transportation. Health care services are not part of your contract.
Life Plan Community
Life Plan Communities (also known as Continuing Care Retirement Communities) offer the full continuum of care, from independent living residences to assisted living, skilled nursing, rehabilitation care and memory care. Depending on the type of contract, you can be guaranteed access to on-site health care at a predictable rate for life, or a modified fee-for-service arrangement in which you pay only for the health care you use.
Rental communities allow seniors to rent a residence based on their current lifestyle and needs. They will likely offer services and amenities similar to a Life Plan Community. Rental communities typically offer independent living, and some may offer higher levels of care. However, there’s no contractual agreement ensuring the community will provide care, so there may not be space for a resident if they require health services. If the community has an opening, the resident will pay market rates for health care.
Talking with Your Family
Less than half of adults under 60 have discussed long-term care or retirement with their parents. (Genworth’s Generational Planning Study, 2018)
Moving to a senior living community can be a gift for both you and your loved ones. Starting the conversation about your future now ensures that your wishes can be shared, heard and discussed in a low-pressure environment.
Here are some talking points to help your loved ones see the benefits to you — and them.
- You want to stay in control and remain independent as long as possible. By making the decision now, you determine where you’ll go. You’ll also have more time to enjoy your independent lifestyle while you’re still healthy and energetic enough to do so.
- You want to relieve your family of the burden of making decisions, selling your home, dealing with your belongings, and caring for you on short notice.
- A maintenance-free senior living community means you don’t have to worry about home repairs or physical chores that may be becoming too demanding.
- With a plan for your future health care arranged, your family doesn’t have to worry about who will take care of you or where you’ll receive care.
- You’ll have the time and opportunity to stay physically and socially active — perhaps even more so than you would in your current residence.
Invite your family to come with you on a visit to the communities you’re considering. Once they see it, meet staff and residents, and even sample the food, they’ll feel more confident about the path you’re choosing.
Complete the contact form to schedule a community tour.
As you explore your senior living options, you need to have tools and information to help you make the right choice for you. We’ve created some resources to help you make an informed senior living decision.
Explore your options
As you compare retirement living communities, make sure you understand the important differences. Download this free “Full Life Ahead” guide to see how your choices compare.
Understanding the Value
When it comes to making a decision about your future, you may be concerned about the costs of moving to a senior living community. Download the “Tools to Build Your Future” guide to get information about continuing care, facts about costs and financing options, and comparison tools to help you make the right decision.
Our goal is to make moving into Casa as easy as possible for you. Our partnership with Moving Station®, an experienced team of professionals, allows us to help you coordinate your move and more.
- Personal attention from experts
- Reduced stress during the process
- Free consultation to make sure your needs are met
- Access to trusted resources for every stage of your move
Every aspect is designed to make your move more efficient and less stressful.
Complete the contact form to request further information or arrange a visit.